The ISA has multiple published research articles and manuscripts on Para Surfing Classification which have been presented internationally including at the International Paralympic Committee’s VISTA Conference. Here are a selection of the research studies below.
Please contact ISA Head of Para Surfing Classification, Dr. Maureen Johnson, for any additional information or interest in classification research opportunities.
Development of Evidence-based Classification for Para Surfers with Physical Impairments: A Narrative Review
Understanding Para Surfing Participation from a Belongingness Perspective
Para surfing performance in athletes with lower limb amputations: A cross-sectional study
Satisfaction of Para Surfing Classification- A Survey Analysis
ISA Para Surfing Classification Icons
Johnson, M.E., & David, H.M. (2021). Development of evidence-based classification for para surfers with physical impairments: A narrative review. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2021 Jul 12. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12674. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34251755.
Johnson, M.E., David, H.M. & Ganesan, M. (2022). Surfing Performance in Para Surfers with Lower-Limb Amputations: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Accepted 9/7/2021 for publication May 2022
Johnson, M.E., David, H.M. & Ganesan, M. (2022). Satisfaction of Para Surfing Classification – A Survey Analysis.Palaestra 36(4). Accepted 11/18/2021 for publication December 2022
Research Studies In Progress:
- Surfing Performance and Trunk Strength in Surfers with Spinal Cord Injuries: A Cross-Sectional Study
- Laterality Effects in Surfing with a Prosthesis
- Expanding the previous study on lower-limb amputations and surfing performance
- Training for Para Surfing during COVID 19 Pandemic
- Kinematics of the Different Para Surfing Pop-ups related to the Anthropometric Characteristics of the Para Surfer
- Spirituality Among Para Surfers