Total of 12 athletes will be selected for participation: One athlete per gender per continent (5 men; 5 women) and one per gender per potential universality place (1 man; 1 woman).
The focus for the ATC will be on continental representation and universality with selection priority given to qualified athletes and/or Olympic qualification hopefuls for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
The results from the 2023 ISA World Surfing Games will serve as the primary benchmark for the selection criteria. The aim will be to select the top placing athlete per continent, as per Surfing’s Qualification System, so long as the athlete meets the qualification and eligibility criteria. The ISA reserves the right to select athletes at its discretion.
Individual athlete coaches will not be in attendance or participating at the ATC, no exceptions.
The ATC is for athletes only. We will be providing resources for knowledge transfer between the athletes and coaches following the ATC.
Group 1: July 1-7 (6 athletes)
Group 2: 10-16 (6 athletes)
* ISA will select athlete groups at their discretion, taking into consideration athlete preference
WHAT IS INCLUDED
– Local Surf Guide / Host – build skill level and knowledge both in and out of the water. Topics will include the following: safety considerations and materials, risk assessment, understanding the characteristics of Teahupo’o and the conditions that will be encountered, helmet safety, management of challenging conditions, video analysis from training sessions, and more.
– Water Patrol – provide water safety for athletes / education for jet-ski lift assistance for accessing wave and considerations, entry and exit from the wave/zones
– Boat Transport (including gas & driver) for 7 days
– Ground transportation from Airport in Tahiti to Teahupo’o accommodation Accommodation for 6 nights/7 days. – Shared room(s) with other athletes of same gender. Breakfast and dinner for 7 days (lunch not included)
Videographer documenting footage for video analysis
Olympic Solidarity Eligible: If the participating athlete is from a country eligible to receive Olympic Solidarity Funding (as per this list), participation costs for the ATC, including travel will be covered following an approval from the corresponding NOC. ISA Travel Agents will book flights for eligible participating athletes once their selection has been confirmed.
Athlete from Non-Olympic Solidarity Country: Athletes selected for participation who represent NOCs that are NOT eligible to receive Olympic Solidarity funding will be given the opportunity to participate at their own expenses. Costs to participate may be covered by the NOC, National Federation or the individual and the ISA will invoice accordingly. Fees to participate in this program are $3,500 USD + airfare.